Thursday 28 February 2008

Week 8and 9

Ahhh the work is finally all done! We've made the deadline and are still alive......just. It has been a close call though. Week 8 was stressful because we had to finish all the texturing, while also being slightly behind with our production schedule- Dan R hadn't finished his Zbrushing, due to his brother moving out and taking his PC with him which had the Zbrush he was using on it. He couldn't work at mine because I needed my PC to make my textures as my graphics tablet wont work at Uni. The camp fire, totem pole and cliff also still needed to be built. To solve this, Dan R had to work at Jakes while Jake worked at Uni modelling the remaining items and I worked at home, and more hours than we anticipated had to be put in, to make sure that we would finish on time.


A very low poly model of Tala, with no textures just colourd faces so I could get a rough idea how she was looking. I made this just before I begun to UV map her.





Tala after I had mapped her UVz. I used a checkerd texture at first to make sure that when I applied textures to her, they would look right and not stretched.








The textures that I used to map Tala. I don't think these screenshots really justify how much effort went into texturing her. I know that sounds vain, but hours were spent getting this right and the details are not really shown in these images. Talking about detail getting lost..... due to time and things going wrong technically, certain details of Tala were axed, such as the beads that I gave her and her earings. Her hair also had to go, as for some reason the alpha maps wouldn't work, they kept going pink and Dan C didn't know how to fix them :S ah well, something to work out for our next project.





Myself and Dan Ryan put together the sound these last few days. Again, when you listen it may not sound like much, but sound takes ages to apply in sync, especially with Premiere crashing constantly as we were using too many sound clips!




This project has been a real learning curve for me, and I think for the whole group in general. I've learnt a whole new programme, and really improved on my texturing skills. I have also made my first human character which I am proud of. I was a little dissapointed that Tala looked strange once the normal map had been applied to her. My computer at home that I was using to texture her on, only allowed me to make renders with out the normal map on her, so when I made tests she looked really good. However when I looked at Tala in the animation, I wasn't really impressed on how the bump had made her appear, which is something I would have liked to fix if we'd had more time. I would also change some of her facial animation and the part when it looks like a giant breadstick is being thrown at her head! I think we set ourselves too much work to do for this project, but I am pleased as we have learnt so much. Hopefully, we will learn from our mistakes and can judge next time just how much work we can actually manage, but seeing as we tryed so much new stuff this term, I'm very pleased with the results :D

No comments: